Saturday, September 12, 2009

First Comes Love, Then Comes Marriage


Demon Baby came into my office yesterday, dressed (surprising) and soaking wet (alas, not so surprising).

"Why are you wet?" I asked.

"It's nothing."

My first instinct was to look up, since I have extensive ceiling damage from other "nothing" little incidents with water in the upstairs bathroom.

"Please tell me you didn't flood anything."

"I didn't."

"So why are you wet?"

"I combed my hair with water so I could look extra handsome."

"Well, you were very successful. You look EXTREMELY handsome!"

"Good. Because we're getting married."

"Who?"

"Me and you."

"Okay. I think I would like being married to you."

"You know how to get married?"

"Yeah. I've tried it before."

"First you find a beautiful girl. Then you make out. Then you marry her."

"Make out? Who told you about making out?"

He looked at me quizzically. "You don't know about making out? Everyone knows about making out. I'm four, and I know about making out. It means you kiss someone for a really long time. Then you get married."

"All righty, then."

"I love you SO SUPER MUCH."

"I love you too."

"Can you make me a peanut butter sandwich?"

"Sure."

Within a few minutes, he had forgotten all about the wedding. But having four kids, including one adult and one teenager . . . with an 11-year-old in middle school, I know the days of thinking I'm wonderful are numbered. So for today . . . I am engaged to a wonderful Demon Baby who is very handsome and loves me SO SUPER MUCH.

10 comments:

Melanie Hooyenga said...

I think my heart would have stopped at the making out part, lol. He's such a charmer. :)

Nadine said...

He is adorable!! And loves you so super much!!

Suzanne said...

I guess we mums are their first true, deep love and we dictate how they will love another female later in life. Whoever gets Demon baby will be a lucky girl.

Robin said...

What a coincidence! A good friend brought her 3 year old to visit today, and we went to the park. I was struck by how in love he was with his mommy. It was so sweet. It was like a little love affair (not in a sick way). And then I read your blog. . . karma.

Anonymous said...

He is VERY handsome!

Erica Orloff said...

Melanie:
Um . . . yeah. But by now I am used to some of his more colorful expressions.

:-)
E

Erica Orloff said...

Nadine:
The picture just captures his essence.

Erica Orloff said...

Suzanne:
I hope he finds a nice Demon Girl.

:-)
E

Erica Orloff said...

Robin:
It is so sweet. My daughters were very close with me when they were that age, but this is more gooey.

E

Erica Orloff said...

FF:
LOL! Yes. So Super Much. :-)
E