Friday, July 3, 2009

Recipe for a Happy Child

Recipe for a Happy Child

One part acceptance
One part affection
One part belief in him
One part unconditional love DESPITE the worms as housepets, dogs fed Play-do, and the whole fascination with peeing on the lawn


Mix well. Pray. A lot. Bite tongue sometimes. Thank God. A lot. Admire him when sleeping to remind yourself that he can be still . . . sometimes (just not when you ask him to). Surround him with people who love him. Kiss boo-boos. Show him the world can be a better place if we each just try by bringing him to the food bank and dropping off groceries. Count to ten. A LOT. Try that praying thing some more. Appreciate him just the way he is.

11 comments:

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Despite the criticisms you seem to get from your barbie moms, no one can deny that you're raising happy children. :)

I was sure the Jonas Brothers would get a mention with such a prominent position in the photo.

Erica Orloff said...

Melanie:
LOL! That is his sister's room. :-)
E

Cheryl Kauffman said...

Don't forget the band-aids. Congrats on raising such a happy boy.

laughingwolf said...

what? db with clothes on? amazing! ;)

Anonymous said...

How did he take Billy Mays' death?

Erica Orloff said...

cheryl:
Yes. Band-aids---and lots of them!
E

Erica Orloff said...

Robin:
I'm a lucky Demon Mother. :-)
E

Erica Orloff said...

laughing wolf:
The rare clothed moments are documented along with the naked ones. :-)
E

Erica Orloff said...

zoe:
I haven't told him. I honestly can't bring myself to.

E

Lauren said...

Demon Baby is starting to look like Demon Little Kid!

I love your recipe for a happy child. Sounds like, from the stories you write about your kids, you have it down pat.

Heather Kelly said...

Oh, Thank God. Someone else has a demon baby. That makes up for all the sympathetic looks I get from my perfect neighbor moms who have perfect little angel girls. Erica, I found this blog from your writing blog, and am so thrilled to have found this (so thrilled that I actually created a google account to post here). Thank you for letting me know that I am not alone. My demon baby (who is 5 now) is training my other baby (she's three) in his ways. And, in truth, most days I wouldn't have it any other way.