Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Dreaded Middle Name

When I "middle name" my kids, they know they are in trouble. Demon Baby Middle Name Last Name, get in here right NOW!

And each of my children has a middle name for a beloved relative. Oldest is middle-named after my late grandmother, Irene. Oldest Son is middle-named after my dad, Walter. Baby Girl is middle-named after my mother, Maryanne. And Demon Baby's middle name is David after his grandfather on his father's side. That also happens to be the name of his uncle on his father's side.

Now, Demon Baby doesn't really know his grandfather. Grandpa David is Mexican-American and lives FAR away in New Mexico. Demon Baby doesn't know many of his father's relatives because of distance--like many Mexicans, they settled in San Antonio, Houston, and other cities in the South West.

So, in Demon Baby's mind, he is middle-named after his UNCLE David. Not Grandpa David. Because he doesn't know Grandpa David.

So it was last night Demon Baby and I went for an outing to a play-place. We sang the alphabet song. Then we worked on spelling his name. We spelled his first name. Then I said, "Let's spell your middle name."

"I know my middle name."

"Of course you do. So what is it?"

"Uncle."

"I beg your pardon?"

"Uncle. My middle name is Uncle, you know. After my Uncle David."

It was a good thing we were almost at our destination because I almost drove off the road laughing so hard.

14 comments:

Spy Scribbler said...

ROFLMAO! That is HILARIOUS!

Just as an aside, when I explain that certain keys have two names, which confuses the heck out them (i.e. F# and Gb), I point out that they have three or four. Then I ask them their middle name.

I would say about 70% of kids third grade and under don't know what their middle name is. It's sort of bizarre to me. And we're not talking mostly four year-olds, we're talking mostly first and second graders.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

LOL!

My original name was Ann, after my grandmother, but then my step-dad adopted me and now it's my original last name. I tried to switch it back when I got married and was told "no." Hmpf.

Erica Orloff said...

Spy:
I know. I can't wait to tell my brother-in-law.
E

Erica Orloff said...

melanie:
It was a really cute moment!!
E

conley730 said...

That is too funny - one of those priceless moments.

My guys don't quite understand the severity of the first, middle & last name yet. When people ask them their names they don't just say their first name, they give them their whole name!

Suzanne said...

Poor confused child! LOL.

Zoe Winters said...

hahahahaha that's funny!

My dad is middle-named after his dad, and my brother is middle-named after my dad. So I'm sure that his son will be middle-named after him. It's become a tradition.

And I think it's hilarious that you actually CALL this kid "demon baby" hahahahaha

Robin said...

That's so cute! I love the way little kids think they know everything, even when they've got it slightly wrong.

Once Kevin referred to a woman's privates as her "bagina". I said, "Honey, I'm pretty sure it's 'vagina'." He thought about it, vigorously nodded 'no', and said, "Mom, I'm pretty sure it's 'vagina'."

I haven't asked, but I hope he knows how to say it now!

Robin said...

I wrecked the joke. He insisted it was "bagina". Never mind. *blush*

Erica Orloff said...

conley:
Since he is the youngest of four, he knows--middle-naming means BUSINESS.
E

Erica Orloff said...

zoe:
Well, he knows he's special in his own sweet, crazy, wonderful, maddening way.

E

Erica Orloff said...

Robin:
For his sake, I hope he can pronounce it now. LOL! Good story.
E

laughingwolf said...

lol... too funny

reminds me of the time my sis and i were at a dance, as teens

a girl asks her what my name is, sis says, 'ask'im'

so what comes outta the girl's mouth next? yup: 'hey, askim' :P lol

Erica Orloff said...

laughing wolf:
That's hysterical. Or, instead of Laughing Wolf, should I be calling you Askim?