Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Something New

Demon Baby is very smart. He speaks in very long, complex sentences, and uses all the little oddities of adults speech:

"Well, generally, I feel that . . . "

"Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of . . ."

"I could possibly see . . . "

Etc.

Not kidding. So we KNOW he's really smart. And we know, as a criminal mastermind, he is very clever. But all of a sudden, this imagination has emerged.

There are dragons everywhere. Monsters around every corner. Magic, flying things, secret sea creatures in the bathtub, and imaginary friends.

And with this? Has all of a sudden come some fears. I sent him into the family room yesterday while I made him lunch. The family room is connected to the kitchen, but it is dim in there until the afternoon.

"I can't go in there."

"Why?"

"It's scary."

"Why?"

"It's dark."

Then, I asked him to give a treat to the littlest of our dogs--a teeny thing about the size of a Jack Russell.

"I can't do that."

"Why?"

"That dog has scary teeth and she may swallow my arm."

Because he has raced through life unafraid of anything, this is new . . . but I also watch it developmentally. I see it with the emergence of the fantasy imagination--which he has an abundance of. His games and play time are so elaborate. I told him he just may end up a writer.

No comments: