Wednesday, January 9, 2008

White Babies Can't Dance

White men can't jump, as the saying goes. I've been to a lot of weddings where it's proved time and time again that white men can't dance.

But Latino men? Well, suffice it to say, my guy is an awesome dancer. He's not a little guy, and I can't tell you the number of women over the years who have come up to me at a wedding or party and said, "Wow . . . who knew he could MOVE like that? No wonder you have four kids." So my half-Mexican kids? Demon Baby has got this funny little rhythm. He MOVES his whole body. He does it perfectly, to the beat, and the beat moves him--you can see how music speaks to him.

But the funniest thing is his favorite song to dance to is a completely stereotypical Mexican-Chicano song, "Low Rider" by War. I have it on this little Mexican Santa Claus who rides in a low rider with his reindeer (don't ask). Demon Baby plays it over and over and over again, and each time he hears that bass, he does this little trick with his hands. to the beat. And he smiles.

So white babies may not be able to dance. But Demon Babies? They're smooth.

2 comments:

Sherry said...

LOL!!! Cool song and I've got the most wonderful visual of this!!!

Erica Orloff said...

sherry:
It must be seen to be believed. LOL!
E